From development through to execution, SmartCity Kochi has consulted with construction specialists to ensure that the environmental impact of the campus remains at a minimum and benefits of sustainability practices result in transferrable cost savings for the business partner.
Some of these measures are:
- The natural terrain and flora is preserved as much as possible which gives the development a unique undulating terrain around which all landscaping and buildings are built. This creates an abundance of green, natural open spaces.
- Designed as a “walk to work” development with covered walkways forming a detailed network of convenient passage systems – whereby reducing the need for motorized conveyance.
- Solar powered lighting for Landscape
- Rainwater harvesting through Storm water Management system
- Outdoor circulations and seamless integration with the nature
- Landscape treated as an extension of the vegetation on site
- Environmentally responsive building (efficient and sun responsive envelope, natural ventilation, passive cooling)
- Preserving Existing Flora-fauna : Respecting existing trees and transplanting the same Double Glazed building envelope for energy savings.
The implementation of these sustainable features has helped in accomplishing savings such as reducing the annual energy consumption,
With its environmental fundamentals in place, SmartCity Kochi’s first building SCK01, will be a LEED Platinum building by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), operating at an 85% efficiency.